I'm a wife, mother and artist. Creation takes on many forms for me and I try to embrace them all. I love to see others discover creation in their own form for their own life. It's in us all the power to create, we just have to let it out.

less is more

Meet Courtney Novogratz, wife, mother of 7, designer & new reality TV star. Physically she is striking, natural. Courtney is part of (or possibly started) a growing trend of women who are wearing little to no make up. Regardless of the high number of toxic chemicals found in make-up products this idea has legs beyond beauty. You can’t deny the elegance of a woman in her 30’s or 40’s who is stylish, dresses well but lets her natural face shine through?

This type of woman expresses herself through her clothes, a few sentimental accessories, but her face is left honest natural. Her laugh isn’t forced or fake, her knowledge is always present, her beliefs & convictions come from experience. Her light is pure, it isn’t altered or falsely projected by an overly painted face.  Is this a grassroots backlash to the outstanding number of women choosing plastic surgery in this country? Almost 10 million cosmetic surgical and nonsurgical procedures were performed in the United States in 2009. However the pendulum may be swinging back. Yes, it would be far easier to swing back when blessed with extraordinary features & flawless skin. Moderation is key, do what makes you feel comfortable.

Coco Chanel often said “When accessorizing always take off the last thing you put on”, maybe in our generation of excess & vanity that one thing should be our make up (or toned down). Art imitates life, its fascinating to watch fashion and culture change due to what is going on in the world.

This may seem like a difficult time for many but what if we embrace the good that can come from these trials. Fashion changes but style is timeless. On it’s way out are things overly done, simplified is in.  “Fashion is not something that exists in dresses only. Fashion is in the sky, in the street, fashion has to do with ideas, the way we live, what is happening.” -Coco Chanel

We often recall this famous image Migrant Mother by Dorthea Lang when we think of the Great Depression. Our generation might be a more subtle version, but there is something more here than a woman worried about her child’s needs, selflessness as a mother is starting to take over and nothing could be more beautiful.

This time of down sizing & economic turmoil could do more for our beauty as women than prosperity & self indulgence ever did. As women and mothers what if we opted for this type of transformation instead of the kind in the surgical room. Our families, culture, communities, pocket book & generations to come would fair far better.

You can find more about Courtney through the business she shares with her husband,  Sixx Design or her new TV show 9 by Design on the Bravo network.

Post edit: this is a trend I noticed and in turn interpreted.  It may or may not reflect the thoughts or beliefs of anyone I have mentioned.

Tags: , , , , , ,

1. Tia 05/17/2010 at 4:08 am

Ever since I started watching 9 by Design, I can't get over how NATURALLY beautiful and down to earth Courtney is and how much I admire that. And the fact that it is intentional, not just because she is a crazy, harried mother of 7.

I loved what you said about how as mothers we should opt for this type of transformation instead of in the surgical room. I couldn't agree more. I hate the plastic trend towards perfection and how that has become somewhat of a norm. I feel like it has created a society that has unrealistic expectations on what a woman should look like at a certain age and what a woman should look like in general. I hope you're right and that there is a movement towards more natural and different ways of expressing yourself as a woman rather than altering your looks with makeup or surgery or whatever. Great post!

2. T. King 05/17/2010 at 5:47 am

Great article Emily. I couldn't agree more that there's a certain beauty and style in simplicity.

3. Emily 05/17/2010 at 3:16 pm

Love it! I am forwarding it to other women just to ensure you buying a combo meal.

4. Emily 05/17/2010 at 3:17 pm

You are so right! Thank you for this article.
    I am sending it to others, so you can get a combo meal…. 🙂

5. sara 05/17/2010 at 4:34 pm

oh I like this post emily, definitely makes you think and I love the beauty in the simplicity for sure. women around the world need to embrace this kind of beauty way over the plasti doc…:)

6. Mandy 05/17/2010 at 5:03 pm

I loved this post Emily! So much that I forwarded it to my husband to read. Thanks for the great insight.

7. Jennifer 05/18/2010 at 3:43 pm

What a thought-provoking post. Years ago my friend roped me into attending a meeting for the cosmetic company she was starting to sell products for. One of the speakers gushed about how she loved helping women become beautiful and feel good about themselves. And I was screaming inside, “Yeah, but you're supporting society's view that they aren't beautiful otherwise!”

As a mother of daughters I shudder at all the messages they are bombarded with regarding physical appearance. While still a sales pitch, I appreciate Dove's campaign that shows all sizes and types of “true beauty.”

I love your idea that selflessness is beauty.

8. Adele 05/18/2010 at 8:42 pm

I think that your article is thought-provoking and wonderful. In the end, it is all about your beautiful spirit that shines through this mortal body. However, as you age——friends tell you that you are not getting older, you just need more makeup!!! Your face starts to fade and that is why make-up was invented. Lip-liner because your lips fade, eye-liner because your eyes fade, eyebrow pencil because your eyebrows disappear!!! In the morning, you can't find your face!!! But your spirit never disappears!!

9. nancy smith 05/21/2010 at 12:37 am

When I was in my teens 20sand 30s I often wore nothing but mascara and nude lip gloss. I loved it. Then I saw TO WONG FU, GOODBYE JULIE NUMAR, and I said to myself “there is no way Patrick Swayze in drag is prettier than me”, and I started to wear a little more a little more consistently. Now I am in my 50s and my eyebrows, lips, eyelashes and eyes are well nigh invisible without something. The sad fact is that I just plain look better with a little make-up.

10. like 02/23/2012 at 1:59 pm

I have to express appreciation to you for bailing me out of this particular issue. After looking out through the world wide web and getting strategies which are not powerful, I was thinking my entire life was done. Being alive without the presence of approaches to the problems you’ve sorted out by means of this guideline is a crucial case, as well as the kind that could have adversely damaged my career if I had not noticed your web site. Your primary knowledge and kindness in playing with everything was valuable. I’m not sure what I would’ve done if I hadn’t discovered such a step like this. I’m able to at this moment look forward to my future. Thanks a lot very much for the impressive and amazing help. I won’t think twice to suggest your web sites to anyone who requires recommendations on this problem.

11. עבודה מהבית 08/08/2012 at 4:59 am

I genuinely enjoy reading through on this web site , it contains superb blog posts. “Wealth and children are the adornment of life.” by Koran.

12. recommended reading 07/13/2013 at 6:20 pm

I wanted as a way to write anyone this tiny note to be able to thank you so much once again for those marvelous tactics you’ve provided on this website. It has been really seriously open-handed of people like you to deliver unhampered all that many individuals would’ve supplied for an electronic book to end up making some bucks on their own, most importantly considering that you may could possibly have done it if you desired. These good tips as well served as the easy way to be aware that someone else have a similar dreams much like my personal own to grasp more and more on the subject of this condition. I think there are some more fun opportunities in the future for many who look over your website.

13. cercasi fotografo roma 10/11/2014 at 8:44 pm

great points altogether, you simply received a nnew reader.
    What may you recommend in regards to your submit that you made some days ago?
    Any certain?