It’s that time of year: the weather turns crisper, the days grow shorter, and the mornings become busier. Now that school is in session, your mornings are more rushed, trying to convince your kids to wake up and get ready. And, I’m sorry, but without the sun shining through the windows, it’s hard to be convinced it’s morning time.
As a result of your rushed routine, and in an effort to be efficient with your time, breakfast usually gets the shaft, even though we’ve been told all throughout our lives that “breakfast is the most important meal of the day”! Studies show that children who eat breakfast do better in school. Plus, it helps with weight maintenance since starting with a healthy breakfast controls the binge eating.
So, in order to refrain from reported memory impairment or lack of energy resulting from skipping that first meal, we’ve compiled some time-efficient ideas for that quick breakfast preparation, or breakfast “on-the-go” when necessary.
Some require preparation beforehand:
* Next time you make a batch of waffles for breakfast, make extras, then freeze for quick warming on a mornings when you’re running late.
* Muffins are perfect for a quick breakfast on-the-go. Bake them the night before and store in separate Ziploc bags for easy travel. And with so many different options for muffins, here are some recipes from other bloggers:
~Mini Whole Wheat Pumpkin Muffins by Ivory Hut
~Zucchini Blueberry Muffins by Rookie Cookie
~Oatmeal Blueberry Muffins by Super Healthy Kids
~”Real Food” Muffins by I Never Grew Up
* Breakfast “sandwiches” and “burritos” with an option of cheese, eggs, meats can either be prepared the night before and heated up, or prepared the day of and wrapped for travel.
~Breakfast sandwich idea by See Jane in the Kitchen
* Yogurt in a cup with granola or fresh fruit makes for a healthy way to start the day.
* Blend together some fresh fruit and yogurt in the form of a breakfast shake. Perfect for “on-the-go”.
~Kami from No Biggie shares her recipe for Protein Shakes
* And when all else fails, good ol’ reliable cold cereal in a Ziploc bag is a lot better than nothing!
(Thanks for the idea, Tauni!)
What quick breakfast tips do you use?