Amy has been married to her hunky, business owning, semi-pro football playing, graphic designer husband for almost 9 years. She is also mother to 2 energetic, delightful, and precocious 4 year old little girls. You'll find more at I Wish I Was in Dixie. Visitors always welcome.

Hit Me With your Best Shot

It started as a regular day. Wake-up the girls, get dressed, eat breakfast, take girls to school. Somewhere mid “get dressed” my husband stopped me and said, “You have been looking really sexy lately. Good job!” I tried to shrug off the compliment and awkwardly said thank you. You see, I have been working really hard and spent money on myself to lose some very unwanted weight. All of my effort and hard work is paying off. I am ecstatic by the results, however, my mind is struggling with changing it’s point of view.

While driving the girls to preschool, the song Hit Me With Your Best Shot came on. As I listened to it, I thought of my husband’s compliment that morning and my inability to properly accept it. At first I kept thinking “what is wrong with me?!” but then I realized that was my problem. Nothing is wrong with me! My inner dialogue needs an overhaul. As I continued listening to this song, I rolled down my windows, turned up the music and told all my negative thoughts to “Hit me with your best shot! Fire away!” It felt liberating to sing loud and let the cool wind blow my hair in all directions. I actually felt the negative thoughts and inner commentary leave me as I belted out those words.

As a wise woman once said, “I can do hard things.” Whether it be raising a family, keeping a marriage alive, losing weight or believing in myself, I can do it! There is no reason for shame or embarrassment. There is no room for thoughts of doubt or unworthiness. I AM worth it and I CAN do hard things! Today I am going to make a change by replacing those negative thoughts with positive thoughts. I am going to list all the reasons why I am worthy of all that I have. I am going to BELIEVE the good things about myself and let go of the feelings of inadequacy and self doubt.

Join me ladies! Let’s change our inner dialogues and belt out “Hit me with your best shot” to all that is around us that causes us to feel less. And remember, you too can do hard things.

Tags: , ,

1. mills5 09/16/2010 at 1:25 pm

Amy, great post!! I am with you. I can do hard things, and I will be a better person for overcoming the hard stuff.

2. mills5 09/16/2010 at 7:25 pm

3. mrs. r 09/16/2010 at 9:47 pm

marvelous! AND it so happens that goes right along with it!

I Can Do Hard Things Necklace by @rhousecouture on #Etsy http://www.etsy.com/listing/56564478/i-can-do-hard-things-necklace?utm_source

i love it! one of my favorite sayings of my mama!

4. Lvidolfan 09/16/2010 at 10:45 pm

Thank you!!!! I totally needed to hear this today. I have been feeling the way lately and am ready to change my way of thinking.

5. Wendy 09/17/2010 at 1:13 am

You go girl! I needed to hear this today as well! Those negative thoughts are always there and it does make it difficult to realize our true worth. But, you're right, we can overcome them!

6. mrs. r 09/17/2010 at 3:47 am

marvelous! AND it so happens that goes right along with it!

i love it! one of my favorite sayings of my mama!

7. Lvidolfan 09/17/2010 at 4:45 am

8. Inevergrewup 09/17/2010 at 4:39 pm

Oh I so need to do this Amy.

9. Inevergrewup 09/17/2010 at 10:39 pm

Oh I so need to do this Amy.

10. Valerie M 09/19/2010 at 4:47 am

I saw your post on Mormon Mommy Blogs, followed the link to your blog and then followed the link there to here. 🙂 Love this post!!!!

11. Montesbugsalive 09/19/2010 at 2:29 pm

you are so awesome! Love reading your blogs!

12. Amy Dotson 09/19/2010 at 5:15 pm

Thank you for being a fan Valerie and following my links. You can follow me on I Wish I Was in Dixie to keep up with my latest articles.

13. Amy Dotson 09/19/2010 at 11:15 pm

14. meganabbott 09/21/2010 at 3:28 am

amazing! As one who struggles with low self esteem I love it! I've been working hard to lose weight and look good too! A few Sundays ago, someone in the ward -a man- turned to me and said “If I can be so BOLD, you are looking really good lately.” I blushed and said thank you and replied it was the so-and-so diet, which actually means the diet where you-go-to-the gym-almost-every-day-and-don't-eat-any-junk-diet. Love that diet.

15. Pingback: Check me out! | I Wish I Was in Dixie