I am an engineer by trade, life coach by design. Speaker, Life Strategist, Closet Intuitive and All Around Funny Girl (I always think I'm funny..) Digging deep for awareness and clarity is my forte'. Visit her website Choice Life Strategies to see what she is up to!

Stay at Home Dads Rock!

I got married when I was 30 and had my first daughter a year later. Within the next 3 ½ years there were 2 more girls added to the brood. Before we had our children, my husband and I decided that he would stay at home with the kids. My job was better paying and I was much more established in my career. We wanted one of us at home. It was a no brainer. He stayed home for 11 years and bonded with our daughters in a way that most men never get to experience. He also put up with a lot of crap, and in all actuality, so did I.

My spouse is a manly man. He pumps iron 5 days a week without fail. He burps and farts and scratches. Staying home with the kids caused him to be the brunt of all kinds of jokes and snide remarks. He took all of them like a man. I remember when I brought up getting a mini-van he said a really bad word. We got one anyway (6 months later he admitted that it was his favorite thing to drive, but I better not tell anyone!) He learned about carpooling, play dates and birthday parties, although I do have to admit that I stayed home the morning of picture day and did their hair (my vanity or theirs, I am not sure).

I tried not to comment when they were wearing purple and blue socks (he is a little color blind) and I laughed hysterically when flu season hit and I came home to the “puke” bucket in the middle of the living room floor. He still tells poopie diaper and naked baby stories that will just crack you up. One day I came home when the oldest one was about 4 months old and he was holding her above his head singing “Like a Baby, Spitting up for the very first time” to the tune of Madonna’s “Like a Virgin Song”. When I walked in, I startled him so bad he almost dropped her, but in that moment all I could think of is what a great Dad this man was.

Quite a few years ago, I was helping at a school party and talking to a Mom who worked at my daughter’s private school. She told me that her kids wouldn’t be attending the school the next year. I asked why and she told me that she just wanted to be a Mom and stay home with her kids. Without her income from working at the school, and the discount that it provided, they would no longer be able to afford to keep the kids there.  I told her I was happy for her and to not feel guilty that she was changing schools. In the next breath she asked me what my husband did. I told her that he stayed at home with the kids. She didn’t bat an eye and said “Is that all?” She had no idea about the one-eighty that she did or that she sounded like a complete hypocrite.

Why is it that when women stay at home it is so great and sacrificing and when men do it they are considered lazy bums? Women are elevated to a state of martyrdom and men are considered creeps — talk about a double standard. Then they look at me like, “What is wrong with you that you aren’t doing it?” or the all encompassing “Don’t you feel guilty?”

Well I didn’t and I don’t.  I hear a lot of stay at home Moms talk about feeling looked down upon by women who work, but frankly they should look in the mirror when they start to judge the way  other people make their families work. It is everyone’s choice to make the right decision for their family. Sometimes that decision is for Mom to stay at home and sometimes it is for Dad to do it and sometimes they both need to work. I know that everyone is making decisions that they think are best for their children because they love them and want what is best for them.   I think all of us need to stop judging what everyone else does for and with their children and remember to look in the mirror first.

One day when my youngest was 5 she said to me , “Mom, I’m so glad I’m a girl.”  I asked her “Why?” She said “Because then I won’t have to stay home with the kids like Daddy does.”  After I quit laughing I told her that not all Dads stay home and that we all make choices about who cares for our children when we are not around. At least she knows that she has a choice. There is no way society will dictate to her what she should do for her children and how she should do it. She will do it her way, whatever that means for her….just like we did!

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

1. Shannon 04/04/2011 at 7:48 am

Love this! My husband works four -ten hour days and stays home with our daughter on Mondays. They have such a good time together, I think it’s been the best thing for them!

2. Emile K 04/05/2011 at 4:14 pm

Actually women who stay at home have been hearing, “Is that all,” for the past 50 years at least. So I strongly disagree that stay at home moms are acceptable today. The fact is that women who stay at home have been ridiculed, mocked, put down, demeaned, and insulted because they don’t have “careers.” And you want men to be treated differently?

Oh, and the fact that you find your daughter’s contempt for staying home to be amusing, I think is a different reaction than you would have if she expressed the same disinterest in having a career.

I eagerly await your next post on how “Stay at Home Moms Rock!”
    You were planning on writing one weren’t you?

3. Ronda Devereaux 04/06/2011 at 8:41 am

Emile K – Sounds like I struck a nerve.
    I agree that women have been hearing “Is that all” for a long time. The wording in your statement about them being acceptable is interesting. Do you find them acceptable? Even if you are one of them? Go back and look at the language that you used. My message is that I think we all need to stand up for what we stand for without judgment for those on the other side of the fence.
    I find it amusing that you think there was any contempt whatsoever in the comment of a 5 year old. The reason that I laughed at her was the opening to have a conversation with her about choices at such a young age. Also the underlying tone to this whole message is about making choices for your family without being judged for it. Whatever that choice may be.
    I hadn’t really thought about a second blog post on this subject, but I will sit with it and see what pops up for me. I was thinking about my husband over the weekend and it led me here. It was my acknowledgment to him. Thanks so much for the input. I love to look at all sides and differing opinions! Have a great day-

• Dena Rushing 04/06/2011 at 10:58 am

I thought your article was great! I do agree that many people look down at the parent that stays at home either it be the man or woman. In your article though you are just giving “kuddos” to those family who do have a stay at home parent so I am not sure why one of the comments posted was said.

I thought your article was very uplifting for the stay at home parents and particularly those Dad’s that step in to take that role.

4. Rachael Herrscher 04/06/2011 at 8:58 am

My husband at different points and for different reasons has been a Stay at Home Dad. It comes with so many different reactions ranging from “Oh that’s cute” to “Oh, you must be a loser”. I walked in on him reading an article in Parenting magazine the other day on the evolution of dads. Post coming soon! I’ve got lots of thoughts here!

5. Ronda Devereaux 04/06/2011 at 3:37 pm

There was actually one Mom at the school who was talking to my husband at one of the kids parties that said to him “You are pretty normal. I thought something was wrong with you and that’s why you stayed home!”

6. Clair Hertzler 06/07/2012 at 7:09 pm

You say, “Something to keep in mind watching the manipulation of the American bastion of the brainwashed masses”

7. naprawa tylnej belki 07/17/2012 at 1:35 am

Thanks for some other informative site. Where else could I get that type of info written in such an ideal manner?
    I’ve a project that I am just now running on, and I’ve been on the look out for such info.

8. Verna 08/21/2012 at 5:38 am

WOW just what I was looking for. Came here by searching for design

9. Pingback: Stay At Home Dads - Part II Utah Mama

10. uggs outlet 10/31/2012 at 12:36 pm

obviously like your website however you need to check the spelling on several of your posts. A number of them are rife with spelling issues and I find it very bothersome to tell the truth on the other hand I¡¦ll certainly come again again.