2 chicken breast halves
3 boneless, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed of fat
8-10 medium tomatillos, husks removed and rinsed well and halved
1 red onion, diced
1 jalapeno chile, halved lengthwise, stemmed and seeded and chopped coarsely
1 poblano chile, stemmed and seeded and chopped coarsely
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp ground cumin
2 Tbsp canola or vegetable oil
Salt and pepper
2 tsp lime juice
Makes 4-5 servings
1. Thaw chicken, pat dry and season with salt and pepper. Place in slow cooker.
2. Combine onion, chiles, garlic, oregano, cumin and oil in microwave-safe bowl. Microwave for 4-5 minutes, stirring every minute until onion is soft. Transfer to slow cooker. Add in the tomatillos.
3. Cover and cook on LOW for 4-6 hours.
4. Remove chicken and shred with 2 forks.
5. Strain the liquid in the slow cooker into a bowl. Puree the strained solids in a blender. Add puree into the chicken. Add more cumin, salt and pepper to taste and 2 tsp fresh lime juice. If needed, add in some of the strained liquid.
6. Serve the filling wrapped up in tortillas with sour cream, cilantro, lettuce, cheese, tomatoes and other toppings of your choice.
I’m drooling right now. I LOVED this filling. To me, it was so delicious. I loved all the fixings to go with it. This filling would also be a great on a salad as a yummy summer meal. 5 stars.