The third Saturday in January, if you remember, we had our biggest snow storm of the season. Instead of shoveling, my girls and I spent this wintry day learning all about the art of Egypt at the Utah Musuem of Fine Art’s Third Saturday family program. It was a grand way to spend a winter Saturday. Here are a few reasons why I love it:
1. It’s completely free. Art museums around the country also offer awesome family programs like this, but for a ticket price. This opportunity gives free art activities every third Saturday.
2. Parking is a breeze. We went on a U of U basketball game day, in the snow, and had no trouble parking in front of the museum. Love that.
3. It’s organized. When we walked in to the museum we were immediately directed to the Family Program director who gave us a treasure map. We had to seek out answers to 3 questions about Egyptian art before we could go to the art studio to create our own art. I love that this program gives an organized, purposeful way to explore the museum with your children. It is not “boring” or “over their heads,” it’s a fun game designed just for them.
4. The art comes to life. Instead of just walking past the Egyptian art, we studied it, trying to figure out what the pictures meant, examining the way they made the mummies. Afterwards, we went to the art studio where they gave us our own papyrus to make our own ancient art. It’s an awesome way to connect and interact with museum exhibits.
5. Family backpacks are a blast. When the girls were done with their papyrus paintings, they wanted more. We checked out the European Art family backpack from the front desk and had at least an hour more of fun in the museum together searching for paintings, interacting with the art, and making more of our own. No one minds if you sit down on the floor, open up the back pack, and just go at it! It’s a playdate in an art museum.
6. On the way home, you feel like a really good mom. Believe me, we have plenty of Disney and Webkinz in our lives. This just feels like a really good way to spend a Saturday.
This Saturday, February 18th’s free art activities includes making our own art trading cards and runs from 1:00 to 4:00. Can’t wait.
More great learning activities to do with your kids: