Hi! I'm Karen, a stay at home mom and blogger. Mostly I write about the new foods and recipes I've been making at my house. I like nutella, avocados, muddy buddies, mushrooms, tomatoes, peaches, berries, beans and rice, dark chocolate, cilantro, peanut butter, fried eggs and a million other types of foods. Most of the time, I like to make really easy and simple recipes--that's why I use my slow cooker a lot! I hope you find my posts helpful! Please comment and let me know when you make one of my recipes!

Tomato Basil Parmesan Soup in the Slow Cooker (or on the stove-top)

Tomato Basil Parmesan soup in the slow cooker. This is the stuff that your taste buds dream of!

Printable recipes cards and download of this recipe can be found HERE.  Enjoy!

tomato basil parmesan soup in the slow cookier
Photo by Clair Buys/BYU Magazine

This is the most delicious soup ever!  Whenever I make it I get tons of compliments.  Serve alone or with grilled cheese sandwiches for a appetizing, comforting meal.

Tomato Basil Parmesan Soup

Makes about 2 quarts (about 8 servings)

• 2 (14 oz) cans diced tomatoes, with juice
  • 1 cup finely diced celery
  • 1 cup finely diced carrots
  • 1 cup finely diced onions
  • 1 tsp dried oregano or 1 T fresh oregano
  • 1 T dried basil or 1/4 cup fresh basil
  • 4 cups chicken broth
  • ½ bay leaf
  • ½ cup flour
  • 1 cup Parmesan cheese
  • ½ cup butter
  • 2 cups half and half, warmed (or skim milk if you’re trying to cut some calories)
  • 1 tsp salt
  • ¼ tsp black pepper

1.  Add tomatoes, celery, carrots, chicken broth, onions, oregano, basil, and bay leaf to a large slow cooker.

2.  Cover and cook on LOW for 5-7 hours, until flavors are blended and vegetables are soft.

3.  About 30 minutes before serving prepare a roux. Melt butter over low heat in a skillet and add flour. Stir constantly with a whisk for 5-7 minutes. Slowly stir in 1 cup hot soup. Add another 3 cups and stir until smooth. Add all back into the slow cooker. Stir and add the Parmesan cheese, warmed half and half, salt and pepper.  Add additional basil and oregano if needed (the slow cooker does a number on spices and they get bland over time, so don’t be afraid to always season to taste at the end).

4.  Cover and cook on LOW for another 30 minutes or so until ready to serve.

Stove-Top Version of Tomato Basil Parmesan Soup

If you want to make this recipe on the stove-top you can!  Here is the adjusted recipe:

• 3 cups diced tomatoes with juice (you can use canned)
  • 1 cup finely diced celery
  • 1 cup finely diced carrots
  • 1 Tbsp fresh oregano or 1 tsp dried
  • 4 cups chicken broth
  • 1/2 cup flour
  • 1 cup parmesan cheese, freshly grated
  • 1/4 tsp black pepper
  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil
  • 1 cup finely diced onions
  • 4 Tbsp fresh basil or 1 Tbsp dried
  • 1/2 bay leaf
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 2 cups half and half, warmed (if you want you can use whole milk, evaporated milk instead…or even skim if you want to skinny it up)
  • 1 tsp salt

1.  Heat oil in 4 quart soup pot.  Add celery, onions and carrots.  Saute 5 minutes.  Add basil, oregano, bay leaf, tomatoes, and chicken broth.  Bring it to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until carrots are tender (15 minutes).

2.  While soup simmers, prepare a roux.  Melt butter over low heat, add flour and cook, stirring constantly, 5-7 minutes.  Slowly stir in 1 cup hot soup.  Add another 3 cups and stir until smooth.  Add back into soup pot.

3.  Simmer, stirring constantly, until soup begins to thicken.  Add Parmesan cheese and whisk to blend.  Stir warmed half and half, salt and pepper.  Simmer over low heat 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Download Printable Recipe Cards HERE

More on TodaysMama:

Family Friendly Drinks

Best Chocolate Cupcakes Recipe (Marshmallow Stuffed!)

Pumpkin Muffins

13 Muffin Tin Recipes

Double Chocolate Brownies with Caramel Frosting

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Tags: , , , ,

1. Pingback: Soup Kitchen Recipes - Tomato Basil Parmesan SoupCoffee break with Simplee Sue

2. Nikki Lomerson 03/16/2013 at 8:37 am

This soup was delicious. Very easy to make. I used canned tomatoes and added garlic. YUMMY…totally going in my rotation. Thank you for sharing!

3. impa 03/20/2013 at 10:05 am

loved the soup, very easy, made twice already, second time i used almond milk to skinny it up and garlic it was just as delicious as the first time. Shared with my diet buddy and she loved it and told her bout the cream she said it was still very tasty.

4. Rebecca 03/24/2013 at 11:05 am

Could I use vegetable broth instead and it still be flavorful? My sister is a vegetarian and I like to share my leftovers with her.

5. leb4host.com 03/25/2013 at 10:05 pm

Others such as tomato paste, modified food starch, salt, yeast extract, caramel
    color, hydrolized soy protein, hydrolized yeast protein, beef
    fat, flavoring, hydrolyzed wheat gluten, dextrose are ingredients containing hidden MSG.
    According to these sites, the batteries and other accessories you’ll need can be purchased inexpensively on auction sites. Because the lid will be sitting snugly on the pot during the slow cooking, liquid will be generated as a by-product.

6. Roderick 03/29/2013 at 3:18 pm

Don’t paint the chalkboard paint or you won’t be able to write on it.
    The kids can also keep score on the chalkboard when they play other games traveling down road.
    You can add some metallic touches with gold or silver acrylic paint before you clear
    coat the Pea Gravel chargers.

7. Tova 04/08/2013 at 1:44 pm

I used roma tomatoes, liquified and poured into pot with chicken stock. The veggies were chopped and added to broth. No sauteing. Cooked on stove top on very low heat. The result..Like slow cooker..Added salt, pepper and skimmed milk…So very good..Will for sure make again but next time will double recipe..

8. Karen Bonfield 04/08/2013 at 6:32 pm

This is the best soup ever, and when you make it , double the recipe…trust me, you’ll want an extra batch in the freezer. I do think you can use half the amount of milk and flour for the roux though , it’s plenty thick for me even though I use 2%milk (regular and evaporated). Also, I use an immersion blender when it is done simmering, before I put the milk in, just to blend it all up a bit. A keeper for sure!

9. chanteksihat.com 04/11/2013 at 3:46 am

It’s really a nice and helpful piece of information. I’m happy that you shared this helpful information with
    us. Please keep us informed like this. Thank you for sharing.

10. Betsy 04/21/2013 at 8:47 am

Have you ever ended up freezing this soup? If so did it freeze well and still taste yummy? My navy bean soup freezes so good,I think it’s better on that soup to freeze(navy bean)

11. Pam 04/21/2013 at 3:29 pm

This is a delicious soup you must try if you like cream of tomato soup.

12. Pingback: Sunday Night (How’s That For An Inventive Title?)

13. Pingback: Meal Plan Monday April 22 | Mama Sonshine

14. Pingback: Tomato Basil Parmesan Soup | Good Stuff Only

15. Pingback: I need a spa day! | S'more Mom

16. Pingback: Menu Plan Monday July 8 | Mama Sonshine

17. Thank you so much for sharing this recipe. I tried it for dinner tonight & it was SO good!

Warmly, Michelle

18. Stacy 08/20/2013 at 9:01 am

Totally looking forward to trying the tomato basil Parmesan soup for dinner! Thanks for posting such a great looking recipe!

19. Tweeky 09/03/2013 at 7:20 pm

20. Pingback: Tomato Basil Parmesan Soup {Crock Pot} | Love to be in the Kitchen

21. Pingback: Day 4 of Cookless Cooking | Hannah Belle

22. Cookie 09/14/2013 at 2:39 am

Can you tell me how many servings are in this soup my husband and I are living in Spain and volunteer ing with our church. We serve 130 year old and I make a light snack for them 4 nights a week. This Los delicious Thanks so much,
    Cookie Alkred

23. Pingback: Features & Fun Friday #7 ~ Top 5 Soothing Slow Cooker Soups and A GIVEAWAY!!!

24. Pingback: Tomato Basil Parmesan Soup - Made To Be A Momma

25. Pingback: Crock Pot Soup Recipes - The Seasoned Homemaker

26. Pingback: Stuffed Zucchini Boats, Chocolate Cherry Cake, Homemade “Hostess” Ding Dongs, Bulgur Pilaf with Tomato and Zucchini, Spiced Pear Cake with Brown Butter Icing, and Tomato Basil Parmesan Soup…made with l♥ve by the Cookie Mama |

27. Pingback: Tomato Basil Parmesan Soup | Lovely MessesLovely Messes

28. Pingback: Freezer Cooking: Soup Edition |

29. Sheryll 11/02/2013 at 5:51 am

30. Sarah 11/03/2013 at 10:03 am

Can you make this gluten free? (without the flour or with a different type of flour) Any ideas?

31. Samantha Stephenson 11/21/2013 at 1:11 pm

Thank you for the recipe, have made it several times and its wonderfull…

32. Pingback: The Best Homemade Soup Recipes | For Women

33. Carly S 01/02/2014 at 1:51 pm

Is it possible to crock pot this soup on high to reduce the time?

• Karen Petersen 01/02/2014 at 9:36 pm

For sure. Just cook on HIGH for about half the time and it should be fine.

34. Ann Garza 01/11/2014 at 9:20 pm

Almost done prepping the this soup for the crockpot. Planning to start the crockpot in the AM and have it ready for lunch after church. Used crushed tomatoes and diced all veggies small, as I just dropped my immersion blender tonight. Totally broken, bummer. But looking forward to this soup and grilled cheese sandwiches on Sunday.

35. Pingback: Soup’s up: Tomato Basil Parmesan | skinnygirlbigappetite

36. Pingback: Finally | #bloggiewoggie

37. Tracy B 01/13/2014 at 8:29 am

Can this be frozen?

38. Pingback: Faith Lessons from a Steak Knife | Fill My Nest

39. Bridgett 01/20/2014 at 3:41 pm

hi, do you have the calorie count for the Tomato Basil parmesan soup at all? it looks and sounds great

40. Margaret Rogers 01/21/2014 at 4:42 pm

This is the best soup ever! I make it over and over for my family. Tonight we are snowed in and I’m so glad I put this in the crockpot earlier.

41. Brandi Tracy 02/02/2014 at 11:23 am

Can i skip the bay leaf and use dried bay leaves? I forgot this ingredient at the store

42. Pingback: WWAW | by the millers

43. Pingback: 7 Slow Cooker Soup Recipes - My Life Abundant

44. la_rahh 02/10/2014 at 8:55 pm

Hi Karen,

Thanks for putting up this recipe and for taking such a lovely picture of it.

Made the stove top version tonight with some changes.
    • added in a full bay leaf
    • added in one parmesan rind
    • only added in 1/2 cup of milk
    • added in some basil and parmesan tortellini
    • used margarine instead of butter
    • omitted the 1 cup parmesan cheese

I found it quite creamy enough with the parmesan tortellini so I felt like I didn’t need to add in all the parmesan and milk.

With all the changes it tasted great!

Thanks again!

45. wintrykiss 02/20/2014 at 5:59 pm

i saw this somewhere else .. and made the stove top version .. OMG delish !!!!!! and i made it for company and they loved it too and asked for the recipe .. definitely a keeper

46. Genny Campbell 03/02/2014 at 2:00 pm

This recipe was super yummy! Thanks for sjsring

47. Pingback: Recipe: Tomato Basil Parmesan Soup in the Slow Cooker - Being Mrs. Beer

48. Kristin 03/07/2014 at 9:31 am

Hi! I made this once and LOVED it. Now, I’m seeing that the tomatoes are listed as canS – plural – but no number in front of the 14 oz. Do you mean more than one can of those? Thanks for clarifying.

• Karen Petersen 03/07/2014 at 11:12 am

Oops!! It is supposed to be 2 cans!! Thanks for letting me know. I will correct it :)

49. Pingback: Family Meal Plan: Week of March 23 - Dee Wilcox