Hi! I'm Karen, a stay at home mom and blogger. Mostly I write about the new foods and recipes I've been making at my house. I like nutella, avocados, muddy buddies, mushrooms, tomatoes, peaches, berries, beans and rice, dark chocolate, cilantro, peanut butter, fried eggs and a million other types of foods. Most of the time, I like to make really easy and simple recipes--that's why I use my slow cooker a lot! I hope you find my posts helpful! Please comment and let me know when you make one of my recipes!

Tomato Basil Parmesan Soup in the Slow Cooker (or on the stove-top)

Tomato Basil Parmesan soup in the slow cooker. This is the stuff that your taste buds dream of!

Printable recipes cards and download of this recipe can be found HERE.  Enjoy!

tomato basil parmesan soup in the slow cookier
Photo by Clair Buys/BYU Magazine

This is the most delicious soup ever!  Whenever I make it I get tons of compliments.  Serve alone or with grilled cheese sandwiches for a appetizing, comforting meal.

Tomato Basil Parmesan Soup

Makes about 2 quarts (about 8 servings)

• 2 (14 oz) cans diced tomatoes, with juice
  • 1 cup finely diced celery
  • 1 cup finely diced carrots
  • 1 cup finely diced onions
  • 1 tsp dried oregano or 1 T fresh oregano
  • 1 T dried basil or 1/4 cup fresh basil
  • 4 cups chicken broth
  • ½ bay leaf
  • ½ cup flour
  • 1 cup Parmesan cheese
  • ½ cup butter
  • 2 cups half and half, warmed (or skim milk if you’re trying to cut some calories)
  • 1 tsp salt
  • ¼ tsp black pepper

1.  Add tomatoes, celery, carrots, chicken broth, onions, oregano, basil, and bay leaf to a large slow cooker.

2.  Cover and cook on LOW for 5-7 hours, until flavors are blended and vegetables are soft.

3.  About 30 minutes before serving prepare a roux. Melt butter over low heat in a skillet and add flour. Stir constantly with a whisk for 5-7 minutes. Slowly stir in 1 cup hot soup. Add another 3 cups and stir until smooth. Add all back into the slow cooker. Stir and add the Parmesan cheese, warmed half and half, salt and pepper.  Add additional basil and oregano if needed (the slow cooker does a number on spices and they get bland over time, so don’t be afraid to always season to taste at the end).

4.  Cover and cook on LOW for another 30 minutes or so until ready to serve.

Stove-Top Version of Tomato Basil Parmesan Soup

If you want to make this recipe on the stove-top you can!  Here is the adjusted recipe:

• 3 cups diced tomatoes with juice (you can use canned)
  • 1 cup finely diced celery
  • 1 cup finely diced carrots
  • 1 Tbsp fresh oregano or 1 tsp dried
  • 4 cups chicken broth
  • 1/2 cup flour
  • 1 cup parmesan cheese, freshly grated
  • 1/4 tsp black pepper
  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil
  • 1 cup finely diced onions
  • 4 Tbsp fresh basil or 1 Tbsp dried
  • 1/2 bay leaf
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 2 cups half and half, warmed (if you want you can use whole milk, evaporated milk instead…or even skim if you want to skinny it up)
  • 1 tsp salt

1.  Heat oil in 4 quart soup pot.  Add celery, onions and carrots.  Saute 5 minutes.  Add basil, oregano, bay leaf, tomatoes, and chicken broth.  Bring it to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until carrots are tender (15 minutes).

2.  While soup simmers, prepare a roux.  Melt butter over low heat, add flour and cook, stirring constantly, 5-7 minutes.  Slowly stir in 1 cup hot soup.  Add another 3 cups and stir until smooth.  Add back into soup pot.

3.  Simmer, stirring constantly, until soup begins to thicken.  Add Parmesan cheese and whisk to blend.  Stir warmed half and half, salt and pepper.  Simmer over low heat 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Download Printable Recipe Cards HERE

More on TodaysMama:

Family Friendly Drinks

Best Chocolate Cupcakes Recipe (Marshmallow Stuffed!)

Pumpkin Muffins

13 Muffin Tin Recipes

Double Chocolate Brownies with Caramel Frosting

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Tags: , , , ,

1. Michelle Powell 03/21/2012 at 5:56 am

YUMMY! I love tomato basil soup! I will have to try this! :)

2. Pingback: Best Soup EVER. Pretty much. « The Polka Dotted Turtle

3. Pingback: Thursday | Sorrel Soup

4. Pingback: Menu Plan Monday « very necessary

5. Tina 04/06/2012 at 4:40 pm

made this for dinner tonight–YUM!! i added a step–after i took the 4 cups of soup out to add to the roux, i used my immersion blender to blend the soup remaining in the slow cooker to make it a little creamier.

we had it with artisan bread topped with cheese and broiled…

6. Pingback: Tomato Basil Parmesan Soup | Cremona's Kitchen Tomato Basil Parmesan Soup | lindsay is learning to cook.

7. Thanks for sharing Karen! 04/10/2012 at 10:07 am

Thanks for sharing Karen!

8. Kelly 04/11/2012 at 3:13 pm

This looks very good. Sadly, I thought it would be vegetarian! I won’t be making it. There has got to be a cruelty free recipe for parm soup out there!

• Karen Petersen 04/11/2012 at 3:17 pm

could you make it with vegetable broth? are you vegan too?

• Christina 04/16/2012 at 2:05 pm

I’m vegetarian and will make it tonight with Vegetarian Chicken Flavored Bullion. We have it in our regular grocery store. It’s VERY high sodium so I just use a little more than half what it calls for to make broth. Then I can always adjust it afterwards… I can’t wait – this recipe looks so easy & delicious!

9. Shirley Effner 04/15/2012 at 4:08 pm

Great Soup!!! Made the stove top version. Used evaporated skim milk and a little bit of whole milk, cut down on the butter to 1/4 c. and it tasted great. Thanks.

10. Daphne 04/17/2012 at 1:39 pm

This is excellent. As I type, it’s still in the crock-pot waiting for my son to get home so we can eat it! :) My husband and littlest are picky about textures so I sauteed my veggies a little and put them in the food processor so they were nice and small. I also used skim milk with a TINY bit of cream and it’s so, so good. I’ve got fresh French bread for it too. I can’t wait for dinner!

11. Michigan Mom 04/18/2012 at 5:06 am

Delicious! Rich & creamy & my whole family loved it. Made it on stove top because of crazy morning, This was super easy, even with after school craziness! Thank you for the directions for both slow cooker & stove top. You saved dinner. I did blend finished soup to make it creamy for picky kid. Served with Italian grilled cheese sandwiches for a spin on ultimate comfort food meal. Found this from Pintrest. Can’t wait to try more!

12. Pingback: Friday Favorites | Ali Damron

13. Rachael 05/02/2012 at 4:17 am

YUM!!! we loved it!!! we were half way thru dinner and my father in law asked all what was in it, and i was listing off the ingredients, I realized I totally forgot to add the milk! It was still so yummy!! Can’t wait to make it again and will do it with the milk next time! Thank you!!! i love tomato soup!! And it was perfect, because it rained all day yesterday and my husband came home from work soaking wet! =)

14. Pingback: Tomato Basil Parmesan Soup « dreaminbutter

15. Pingback: Tomato Basil Parmesan Soup | Emma Hayek

16. Pingback: Photo by Clair Buys/BYU Magazine This is the most delicious soup ever!  When - - Network Panda – cPanel Web hosting, PHP, MySQL, unlimited disk space and bandwidth

17. Laurie 05/19/2012 at 5:05 pm

Do you use grated or shredded Parmesan cheese?

• Karen Petersen 05/21/2012 at 8:51 pm

Laurie, you can use either one! Add it in slowly so it doesn’t get stringy.

18. Charlene Austin 05/20/2012 at 6:21 pm

I had to come by and tell you I made this for dinner in the crockpot today. Oh my! So good. I did use Almond Milk instead of half and half (80 calories vs 630). I also only used 1/4 cup of butter and 1/4 cup of flour and it was still divine. Such good flavor. Thanks for the recipe!!

19. Pingback: can’t go around it . . . « Entering my fairy tale

20. Karen 05/25/2012 at 5:25 pm

Can’t wait to try…sounds yummy. Just wondering does it freeze well?

21. Pingback: 2ww Roundups (part 2) | Good Families Do…

22. Pingback: Tomato-Basil Parmesan Soup « Kate's Recipe Box

23. Pingback: Let’s review, shall we?? » watchtheskyphotography.com

24. Pingback: Tomato Basil Parmesan Soup | Mer's Magic

25. Pat 07/30/2012 at 7:25 am

Anyone tried freezing this?

• Jennifer 08/04/2012 at 2:54 pm

I’m wondering the same. Does it freeze well? Would I just thaw and heat it?

• Karen Petersen 08/04/2012 at 6:43 pm

I’m not totally sure if it would freeze well with the cream in it. While reheating it might get all separated. It’s worth a try though!

26. Pingback: DAY 6: cooking CAN be fun while eating low carbs! | Low Sugar // Low Carbs // Long Runs

27. Pingback: Busy Bee | This Southern Blog

28. Amy 08/21/2012 at 11:15 pm

Has anyone tried this without the flour or with rice flour instead? Would love a gluten-free version. . .

• Jenn 08/27/2012 at 9:37 pm

Amy, I’m thinking the flour acts as a thickening agent. Perhaps you could try a small bit of xanthan gum or guar gum in place of the flour, or even cornstarch. I also eat gluten free so I’ll be experimenting, too :)

29. Pingback: WHOLE FOODS September 2012 Menu | OAMC from Once A Month Mom

30. Cynthia 09/05/2012 at 12:09 pm

I made this today and I’m eating it right now! I made the stove top version and it reminds me of the Tomato-Basil soup at Zupas. I wanted to keep it gluten-free so I used an extra 1/2 cup of onion then pureed the sauteed veggies and tomatoes. That made it just thick enough that I could forgo the roux.

31. Michelle 09/12/2012 at 3:12 am

Has anyone tired using vegetable broth for a “meatless” version?

• Jess 09/20/2012 at 2:29 pm

I have, but I didn’t use vegetable broth (vegetable broth, to me, always lacks a lot of flavor when I have tried and substituted it for other recipes). I used knorr’s vegetable bullion. I love it! I have made it 4 times now.

32. Michelle 09/12/2012 at 3:13 am

*tried

33. Pingback: Twelve on the Twelfth–September 2012 « This is the Thing

34. Katie 09/16/2012 at 7:14 pm

Tried this recipe (from Pinterest) followed the directions exactly and it tasted horrible. I am not sure how the reviews are so great… this tasted bitter and too acidic. I ended up throwing the whole thing away. Big disappointment.

• Karen Petersen 09/17/2012 at 9:42 am

sorry Katie! I’m not sure why, mine always turns out great.

• Jacob and Chastity 11/03/2012 at 11:50 am

You should try the suggestions we made. Scroll down further. We used a lot less broth. We used diced hunts tomatoes, 2 cans worth with the juice. You may have not made the roux quite right because that is the thickening agent and also helps absord some of the acid.

35. Melanie 09/17/2012 at 11:40 am

I love this recipe and will be making it again this week!

36. Jeanne Ireland 09/18/2012 at 9:14 am

Love this recipe and wanted to let you know that I posted it on my blog today with a link back to you. I cannot wait to try more.

37. Teddy 09/19/2012 at 6:14 pm

Really delicious! However I made it with full fat and I think that may have detracted from the other yummy flavours, even though i put way more fresh basil and oregano then was required. I was thinking that if I had put the basil and oregano in later their flavour would be retained better.So I’ll have to experiment with that!

38. Pingback: Tomato-Basil Parmesan Soup « onerecipetwokitchens

39. Pingback: My First Soup! « letstalkfashionandfood

40. Pingback: Fresh Food Thursday | Cheesy Chicken Tomato Basil Soup « Brown Photography

41. Jill P. 09/28/2012 at 9:51 am

I made this last night (stove top method) and it was AWESOME! I used regular 1% milk and I used my immersion blender to puree it after the 15 minute simmer and before adding the roux, cheese & milk. I definitely will be making this a ton during the fall/winter season!

42. Laura 10/05/2012 at 5:07 pm

I am making this tonight but adding but putting it over some cheese tortellini. I saw another recipe using the tortellini, but I liked the ingredients on this better. I’ll let you know how it goes!

43. Dianna K 10/07/2012 at 5:07 pm

This was amazing!!! I made the slow cooker version, perfect! I loved the light but yet creamy taste. Thanks for sharing!

44. Nichole 10/09/2012 at 1:39 pm

There is a pot of this simmering on my stove right now. Granted, I made a couple of lower-cal substitutions, but…

…this recipe is amazing! Such wonderful flavors! Frankly, I keep taste-testing it and I’m not sure if there’ll be any left for dinner! Thank you so much!!!

45. Yvonne M. 10/10/2012 at 8:42 am

We can’t have gluten, so I’d skip the flour and use heavy cream instead of half and half – thinning a bit with broth if needed. I have a whole arsenal of gluten free options to replace flour. Just takes a bit of experimentation to get it right. Looks SO good. I’m a HUGE soup person – no matter the season. Can’t wait to try it. It’s being Pinned.

46. Sara 10/24/2012 at 8:58 pm

I made this tonight on the stove top and followed the directions exactly. I ended up blending the finished product because my kids would never eat it all chunky. I thought it tasted pretty good but it seemed like it was missing something. It seemed to have a lingering sort of flour taste.

47. Pingback: » Crock-Pots are the New Cauldron BrightNest Blog

48. Janessa 11/01/2012 at 1:20 pm

This sounds so good, and I can’t wait to try it! However, I am cooking for one and tend to freeze a lot of meals. I’m wondering, can this be frozen to be reheated at a later time?

49. Jacob and Chastity 11/03/2012 at 11:47 am

This soup is outstanding. We made some modifications to the stove top version. We left out bay leaf and used only 2 cups of organic chicken stock. Instead of half and half we used regular silk soy milk. Ensure that you stir the soup every 3-4 minutes or else the tomatoes will stick to the bottom of the pan during the simmering step. We had the soup with some sourdough bread grilled cheeses with a little cream cheese inside. Yum!

50. Pingback: Tomato Basil Parmesan Soup oh my! « theArtfuLife