Before yesterday, I have never made apple turnovers. Love them, yes. Made them, no. Now that I know this easy dessert recipe, I am in danger of making them way too often.
1. Buy empanada dough from a grocery store that specializes in Hispanic foods. It is in the freezer section and costs about $2.59 for a package of 10.
2. Place two tablespoons of apple pie filling in the center of the dough.
3. Fold and seal with a fork.
4. Arrange turnovers on a jellyroll pan covered in 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil.5. Paint turnovers with melted butter and sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar.
6. Bake at 375 degrees for about 25 minutes.
My girls helped fill and seal the dough. Later that night, this easy dessert recipe was the star of our family party. We are now keeping Goya empanada dough as a staple in our freezer.
Tags: apple pie, apple pie filling, apple turnovers, easy dessert recipes, empanada, simple desserts