I am happy to be a stay at home mother to three little girls and wife to a terrific husband. I enjoy finding ways to express my creativity-- sewing, writing, crafting, photography, or whatever my fancy of the week might be. I also love spending time with my family and strive to make our days together joyful. Check out my blog at Small and Simple

Gluten Free Zucchini Brownies

Our family had to make the switch to gluten-free living almost a year ago, and it has been really hard for me to figure out how to make some of my favorite recipes without using wheat flour. Luckily I stumbled across this gluten free conversion chart on Pinterest a couple weeks ago. It’s like the sky opened up for me and now I feel ready to try adapting things on my own. And my first creation….. Gluten Free Zucchini Brownies!

1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 1/2 cup white sugar
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 1/2 cup rice flour
1/3 cup potato starch
1/3 cup tapioca starch
1 tsp. xanthan gum
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cider vinegar
2 cups shredded zucchini
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350. Grease a 13×9 inch pan.

Combine oil, sugar, and vanilla in a large bowl. Mix flours, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in another bowl, then stir in the wet ingredients, including vinegar. Fold in zucchini.

Smash the dough into your baking pan and sprinkle with chocolate chips. (I kind of smashed those in too.) Bake for 25-30 minutes, until done.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Tags: , , , ,

1. Cait 09/17/2012 at 10:18 am

Yay! I’m so glad you liked the chart! These look delicious. :)

2. Rachael Herrscher 09/17/2012 at 12:25 pm

Where do you by xanthum gum, potato startch etc. Regular grocery store or do you need to go to Whole Foods? I’ve always used gluten free baking mixes . . . Looks yummy!

• laurielarsen 09/17/2012 at 1:01 pm

I usually get my potato starch, etc. at Good Earth because they sell it in bulk bins, but I think any health food store would have it. I have also seen it at Macey’s or Walmart in little bags from Bob’s Red Mill. Same with xanthan gum.

• Hilary Williams 09/17/2012 at 3:50 pm

Rach, Harmons generally has a really good selection of gf ingredients. Otherwise, Whole Foods and Against The Grain have the best selections I’ve seen.

3. Hilary Williams 09/17/2012 at 3:51 pm

I’m curious about Good Earth. I’ll have to check it out! That conversion chart is gold!

4. jani lebaron 09/17/2012 at 4:22 pm

This looks like a great recipe! I’d love to see a post on why gluten free. I know there are lots of allergies, but I’ve heard that “some are going gluten free for weight loss” … I don’t buy that. My grandson goes into shock if he has dairy. I’ve had so many people tell me they’re allergic to dairy as well… that they’re “lactose intolerant”… definitely not the same thing!

5. Lindsey (Cafe Johnsonia0 09/21/2012 at 4:53 pm

Getting ready to make these. I love the gluten free chart too. Life saver!

6. Pingback: Why I Am Gluten Free « « Utah Mama Utah Mama