Hi! I'm Karen, a stay at home mom and blogger. Mostly I write about the new foods and recipes I've been making at my house. I like nutella, avocados, muddy buddies, mushrooms, tomatoes, peaches, berries, beans and rice, dark chocolate, cilantro, peanut butter, fried eggs and a million other types of foods. Most of the time, I like to make really easy and simple recipes--that's why I use my slow cooker a lot! I hope you find my posts helpful! Please comment and let me know when you make one of my recipes!

Slow Cooker Baked Potato Soup

Slow cooker baked potato soup with all the fixins!

slow cooker baked potato soup
Slow Cooker Baked Potato Soup

Makes 6 servings

6 medium red potatoes, cubed
1 cup diced onion
4 large garlic cloves, minced
1 bay leaf
1/4 tsp salt
5 cups water
4 tsp chicken bouillon granules or 2 tsp Shirley J chicken bouillon
4 Tbsp butter
1/2 cup flour
1 cup milk
Salt and Pepper
Toppings:  green onion, cheese, sour cream, bacon bits

1.  Either microwave the onions until softened or saute them in a pan on the stove.  Add to the slow cooker.
2.  Add potatoes, garlic, bay leaf, salt, water and bouillon to slow cooker.
3.  Cover and cook on LOW for 6-8 hours or HIGH for 3-4, or until potatoes are cooked through.
4.  Prepare a roux.  Melt butter over low heat in a skillet.  Slowly add in the flour and whisk.  After butter and flour are combined, slowly add in milk and tablespoon at a time.  Continue whisking.  When roux is thickened up slowly add in 1 cup hot soup (add in just the liquid part of the soup).  Whisk until thickened.  Stir in another cup of soup (again just the liquid) and keep whisking until thickened.  Do this another 2 times.  When you have a nice thick creamy sauce, add it all back into the slow cooker.  Stir.  Salt and pepper to taste.
5.  Ladle into bowls and then add toppings, as desired.
Review:
The comment I made to my husband as we were eating this soup was “this soup is like a baked potato.  By itself the potato is pretty mediocre but with all the toppings, it is AMAZING!”  The soup by itself was a fairly mediocre potato soup.  However, adding the sour cream and cheese and bacon made it oh so delicious.  My kids inhaled this soup.  Soup people.  They ate soup.  It is very kid-friendly and adult-friendly for that matter.  Comforting, creamy and delicious.  4 stars.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Tags: , , , , , ,

1. Ali 11/28/2012 at 3:39 pm

I made this soup for dinner tonight and it’s SO good….especially with all the toppings. I actually doubled the batch so I could freeze some for another meal! :-)

Thanks for sharing the recipe.

2. Karen Petersen 11/28/2012 at 9:07 pm

Wonderful idea!
    Glad you liked it :)

3. Elizabeth Martinez 11/30/2012 at 3:13 pm

Making this for dinner tonight…looks yummy!
    Can’t wait to try it!

4. Janey 12/01/2012 at 6:03 pm

I think you should have responded positively to Anonymous who said there was too much garlic. She responded back after a couple of your fans and ‘you’ said something negatively. She was right, not everyone’s taste buds are the same. It’s important for reviewers to be honest so that someone looking to make the recipe can take those notes into consideration. If you are not open to criticism, then don’t allow comments on your blog.

• Sabrina 01/19/2013 at 7:49 am

I’m not trying to be mean, but do you not understand that multiple people can use the name anonymous? It may not have been the same person.

Also, this is Karen’s site and this is America, so she can say or respond however she feels…

5. Pingback: 26 Meatless Slow Cooker (CrockPot) Recipes « « Utah Mama Utah Mama

6. Rev. Ken J. Gertner 01/01/2013 at 7:39 am

You offer the print recipe button, but not on the actual recipe. It dosen’t make much sense.

7. Sue Clement 01/01/2013 at 9:58 am

I make a potato soup on the stove similar to the recipe. I drain the potatoes, keeping the liquid, then mash the potatoes. I add cooked carrots and onions, then cut up hot dogs (though any meat would work), and sour cream. I do not have to make a roux. I will adapt this recipe to mine and use the slow cooker – so much easier!

8. Michelle 01/09/2013 at 4:52 pm

Maybe this is a dumb question, but do you peal the potatoes first?

9. Alycia 01/09/2013 at 6:28 pm

god, this was delicious! can’t wait to make it again :)

10. Sabrina 01/19/2013 at 8:04 am

I plan on making this tomorrow, but with chicken stock that I made from a leftover roast chicken dinner (I froze the stock for future use). I love potato soup; such a great base for chowders!
    I wish more people would use their imagination when cooking. If you ‘eyeball’ a recipe and one ingredient sounds like something that will overpower your tastebuds, use common sense and reduce it or eliminate it. A great example would be red pepper flakes or hot sauce.

11. Elaine 01/19/2013 at 10:30 pm

How can I print this recipe without all the comments, ads, etc?

It sounds great.

• Karen Petersen 01/19/2013 at 10:32 pm

Sorry Elaine. The best way to do it is highlight the text you want to print, right click push copy. Paste into a word processing document and print. Kind of annoying but it works.

12. Debbie 02/25/2013 at 4:49 pm

I make this soup all the time except i throw in a can of chopped clams the last 10 minutes, makes great clam chowder!

13. Kathe 03/04/2013 at 6:25 am

This soup is good, but after the comments I read on here I fried 4 slices of turkey bacon crumbled it and added to crock pit. In the drippings I sautéed the onion and garlic until the onion was soft and the garlic was golden(you may need to add a little oil or butter as there isn’t a lot of rendering from the turkey bacon). This soup was amazing. Maybe the person who said too much garlic should sauté it first. It makes the garlic taste mild instead of in your face!

14. ann 03/05/2013 at 6:02 pm

just pinned this..comment shouldn’t raise blood sugar as much as a whole baked pototo. (the other things help to break down starch…especially garlic which i like.)

15. Pingback: TodaysMama.com - How to Make Crispy Bacon in the Oven with Minimal Mess!

16. Bill 09/22/2013 at 3:12 am

Put a PRINT on recipe

17. Nadine 09/24/2013 at 2:05 pm

I would really like to print this recipe but all that prints are the posts on the blog. Can you add a “print” option or is that not allowed?

18. Pingback: Slow Cooker Sunday - 365daysofcrafts.com — 365daysofcrafts.com

19. Geneob 11/09/2013 at 4:54 am

The weight of the potatoes would help. Small, medium and large doesn’t mean the same to everybody

20. Sue 11/09/2013 at 7:31 am

For the garlic, it can be anybody’s choice amount. Yes, it sounds like too much for me, so I will back off on the amount and if I need more, I’ll add at the end. Otherwise, this sounds like an AWESOME soup!! Love potato soup and always looking for one that’s better than the other. I’m gonna enjoy this.

21. Jennifer 11/23/2013 at 6:57 pm

this recipe looks easy to make…I will try it with the simply potatoes package of diced potatoes and onions

22. Chef Bob 01/04/2014 at 6:04 am

Looks and sounds Great I will try it real soon and share it with many Friends.
    Thanks for Sharing.

23. Joel Jackson 01/18/2014 at 8:46 pm

Tell me how I can print the Recipe without 25 Comments. Ink is expensive.

• vicki 01/19/2014 at 4:31 pm

i agree,wish there was printer friendly button

• Karen Petersen 01/20/2014 at 9:00 am

Select the text you want to print. Right click. Choose print. View a preview and make sure it’s just the text that you want and not all the comments. Click print! Hopefully this works for you! Good luck.

• Debbie 02/13/2014 at 12:22 pm

Just right click on the recipe, click on print and you can print the pages that you want.

24. Pingback: 3 Best Slow Cooker Soup Recipes - Easy Slow Cook