Slow cooker baked potato soup with all the fixins!
|Slow Cooker Baked Potato Soup
Makes 6 servings
6 medium red potatoes, cubed
1 cup diced onion
4 large garlic cloves, minced
1 bay leaf
1/4 tsp salt
5 cups water
4 tsp chicken bouillon granules or 2 tsp Shirley J chicken bouillon
4 Tbsp butter
1/2 cup flour
1 cup milk
Salt and Pepper
Toppings: green onion, cheese, sour cream, bacon bits
1. Either microwave the onions until softened or saute them in a pan on the stove. Add to the slow cooker.
2. Add potatoes, garlic, bay leaf, salt, water and bouillon to slow cooker.
3. Cover and cook on LOW for 6-8 hours or HIGH for 3-4, or until potatoes are cooked through.
4. Prepare a roux. Melt butter over low heat in a skillet. Slowly add in the flour and whisk. After butter and flour are combined, slowly add in milk and tablespoon at a time. Continue whisking. When roux is thickened up slowly add in 1 cup hot soup (add in just the liquid part of the soup). Whisk until thickened. Stir in another cup of soup (again just the liquid) and keep whisking until thickened. Do this another 2 times. When you have a nice thick creamy sauce, add it all back into the slow cooker. Stir. Salt and pepper to taste.
5. Ladle into bowls and then add toppings, as desired.
The comment I made to my husband as we were eating this soup was “this soup is like a baked potato. By itself the potato is pretty mediocre but with all the toppings, it is AMAZING!” The soup by itself was a fairly mediocre potato soup. However, adding the sour cream and cheese and bacon made it oh so delicious. My kids inhaled this soup. Soup people. They ate soup. It is very kid-friendly and adult-friendly for that matter. Comforting, creamy and delicious. 4 stars.
Tags: potato soup, potato soup recipe, recipes, slow cooker, slow cooker recipes, soup recipes, soups