My kids love freshly made pancakes but I hate mixing them up in the morning when we are short on time. I don’t love the taste of store bought pancake mix so the perfect solution is this homemade whole wheat pancake mix. I love using this because the pancakes are hot and fresh and I only have to add water! It is soooo easy! I also own a wheat grinder so I buy the wheat and grind it myself, which gives me control over what kind of flour I use. My kids like when I add mini chocolate chips or blueberries to the batter.
- 3 cups powdered milk
- 9 cups whole wheat flour (wheat that has been ground from soft white wheat…if you don’t have whole wheat flour from soft white wheat then you’ll need to use 7 cups whole wheat flour and 2 cups white flour)
- 1/3 cup baking powder
- 1 Tbsp salt
1. In a large bowl, stir together all ingredients until well blended.
2. Store in a large container with a tight fitting lid.
When I make this pancake mix I usually just add water and I don’t measure anything out. However the original recipe that my friend gave me says to add a little butter. Here is her recipe:
- 2 cups mix
- 1 2/3 cups water
- 2 Tbsp oil or melted butter
1. Preheat skillet.
2. Blend together mix and water, using a whisk.
3. Pour a small amount of batter onto the hot skillet. When the edges start to look dry and bubbles form on the top, turn pancakes over.
4. When golden brown on the other side, remove and serve.