With the hot summer days truly now in full force in our desert land of Utah, you, like many moms, may be desperate for easy ways to keep your kids cool, occupied, busy, and just flat-out trouble-free! With very little expense and preparation, you can both maintain your own sanity and give your kids a thrill and a chill with our 12 water balloon games just perfect for backyard fun!
Simply purchase a couple of packages of water balloons, teach your kids how to play the super-fun games explained below, and then let them go crazy splishing and splashing the afternoon away! Your kids will be entertained, you’ll stay cool and calm, and everyone will be as happy as can be! (One piece of advice: Just don’t turn your back on one of your balloon-weilding kids. My little FYI!)
- Water Piñatas– Hang your water balloons from a tree limb, grab a stick, and have at ‘em!
- Water Balloon Toss– Stand directly across from your partner. Start off close, and with each successful toss and catch, take a step back. Continue until someone gets wet!
- “Hot Water” Balloon– Just like Hot Potato, but a little colder!
- Water Balloon 3-Legged Race– Have each racer hold an individual balloon. Whoever wins gets to throw the unbroken balloons at the opponents of their choice!
- Water Balloon Catch– Use a towel to throw and catch the balloon.
- Water Balloon Egg Relays– Carry your balloon on a spoon! This is really tough, so it may be easier to use very large serving spoons.
- Water Balloon Shot Put- Who can heave-ho their water balloon the farthest?
- Water Balloon Tag– Whoever is “it” carries the water balloon. If you get hit and the balloon breaks then, “Tag you’re it!”
- Water Balloon Dodge Ball– Just like regular dodge ball. (Be careful the balloons do not break on the ground before starting.)
- Water Balloon Volleyball– Two teams of two people stand holding each end of a towel. Use the towel to catch and throw the water balloon over the net!
- Water Balloon Darts– Hang up some water balloons, and see who can hit the target! (Smaller water balloons work best for this activity.)
- Water Balloon 500– You need one person to be the thrower and a group of people standing a good distance away to catch. The older the kids, the greater the distance. When throwing the balloon, the thrower announces a number value to the balloon. If someone catches the balloon, they receive the number of points called out. Continue until a player racks up 500 points. To add a twist, the thrower can call negative numbers.
And, what about all of those balloon pieces that are left all over your yard when the water balloon fun is done? Bribe your kids into cleaning up with the lure of the deliciousness of these Smores Bites! YUM!
Other fun ideas for keeping little ones happy and busy this summer can be found here: