Hi! I'm Karen, a stay at home mom and blogger. Mostly I write about the new foods and recipes I've been making at my house. I like nutella, avocados, muddy buddies, mushrooms, tomatoes, peaches, berries, beans and rice, dark chocolate, cilantro, peanut butter, fried eggs and a million other types of foods. Most of the time, I like to make really easy and simple recipes--that's why I use my slow cooker a lot! I hope you find my posts helpful! Please comment and let me know when you make one of my recipes!

How to Make Crispy Bacon in the Oven with Minimal Mess!

How to Make Crispy Bacon in the Oven

Bacon.

We all love it, yet it’s not that fun to make.  It pops and sizzles and has to be babysat when cooked in a skillet.

Well, don’t cook it in a skillet!  Cook it in the oven on a cookie sheet.  It takes the hassle out of cooking bacon (not to mention there is practically zero mess to clean up).

how to make crispy bacon in the oven

Step 1:  Grab a cookie sheet and line it will foil (I like to use Reynolds Grilling Foil.  It’s large enough to cover the edges of the cookie sheet and it’s non stick as well).

Step 2:  Place the uncooked bacon on the foil-lined cookie sheet.  Place the bacon close to each other, but without touching.  If you want to do a huge batch of bacon then use 2 cookie sheets.

Step 3:  Place the cookie sheet in a cold oven.  Turn the oven to 400 degrees F.  Set your timer for 15 minutes.

Step 4.  After the 15 minutes is up, check your bacon.  If you like it more crispy or if you have thick slices of bacon, you may need to cook it for 5 more minutes.

Step 5.  When bacon is cooked to desired doneness, remove cookie sheet from oven.  Use tongs to place slices of bacon on a couple of layers of paper towels.  Top the bacon with another layer of paper towels and press down gently to absorb any extraneous grease.

Step 6.  Carefully fold the foil and toss it, with all the mess, into the garbage.

Step 7:  Eat your bacon and enjoy (or use it in one of the recipes below).

Recipes with Bacon!

Easy Cheesy Potato and Bacon Soup

Slow Cooker Fiesta Chicken and Bacon Explosion

Slow Cooker Chicken Bacon Ranch Wraps

Creamy Mushroom and Bacon Chicken

slow cooker baked potato soup

Slow Cooker Baked Potato Soup

Tags: ,

1. Diane 09/22/2013 at 9:30 am

We put ours on a cooling rack that fits an old cookie sheet. No paper towels needed and the grease just drips right off! I love bacon cooked in the oven. 🙂

2. Ken 01/16/2014 at 9:08 am

Doesn’t the grease pop all over the oven when the bacon cooks?

3. Amy 02/05/2014 at 5:44 pm

I’m so bummed because my oven has been on making cookies! but I’ll just watch it closely!!!

4. Anna 03/24/2014 at 10:56 pm

What happens to all the grease?

• Peggy 10/16/2015 at 2:30 pm

I save my bacon grease in a covered Tupperware bowl in the fridge and put a two or three tablespoons of the grease into a pot of beans, peas, squash or anything that needs seasoning. I am from the south though and we use bacon grease a lot. It makes anything taste better…haha

5. Mary 03/27/2014 at 2:01 pm

Like Diane, I put the bacon on a cooling rack and set on a foil lined cookie sheet. It worked great! I did see some splattering in the oven, but not nearly like it does on the stove. I had to cook mine quite a bit longer because I get thick bacon and I like mine very crispy. After the 15 minutes, I flipped it over because I could see some grease pooling on the slices. This is the easiest way I’ve ever cooked bacon in bulk! Thank you!!

6. Pingback: Bacon Wrapped Cinnamon Rolls - TodaysMama

7. rosemarie johnson 10/06/2014 at 8:42 am

thank you great idea and your right on the stove it does make a big greasy mess.

8. Jana 11/08/2014 at 8:24 am

Okay, I’ve tried this twice and the bacon is never close to done after 15 minutes. Even if I didn’t like it crisp, it would not be done enough for anyone to eat. I have it on for 10- more min. We’ll see what happens. Last time I tried it, I think I had it in for 30 minutes and it still wasn’t done. I am doing everything it says to do.

• Jackie 01/11/2015 at 9:14 am

I really appreciate you writing this article, & everyone’s comments & tips. I’m going to try baking my bacon this morning & make a big batch to use during the whole week. I’m going to make it according to what you wrote & also utilizing the tip of using a cooling rack. I have a coworker who says she’s been using this method for years but for some reason I’ve always fought how easy this could be (Don’t ask me why, I just like to be difficult)! I think I’ve always been afraid of making a mess in the oven, but I’m going to give it a try – thanks for your article!

• Heather 02/01/2015 at 5:34 pm

It takes longer than 15. It takes about 25 for done bacon and 30 for crispy. I have an excellent, new oven. No way is a whole pack of bacon going to be done in 15. Love baking bacon! Mess free, no splatter and I use the napkin to take off the geese because otherwise you have the cookie racks, as mentioned above, to clean after. With napkins there is absolutely no clean up.

9. Pingback: 18 Food Hacks That Will Change The Way You Cook! | How Does She

10. Pingback: A Full Irish Breakfast

11. Pingback: Week thirty of Fun & Crazy | DeAndras Crafts

12. Pingback: The Best Bacon Recipes - 12thBlog

13. Sharon 10/01/2015 at 6:20 pm

My favourite way to cook bacon now so thank you so much. I remember an in law relative telling me years ago that she cooked bacon this way. I never thought it would be as good as fried. Thanks also to those leaving comments since I did the baking rack on the lined cookie sheet and the 25 minutes for family that likes their’s floppy and 30 minutes for those that like it crispy. I used a dollar store silicone mat instead of foil since we have to wash and recycle our foil now. Really makes you think twice before using it.